The first meal I ever learned how to cook all on my own was a simple version of cajun chicken with rice and vegetables. Now a few years later and after countless changes and mess ups I’ve come up with my favorite dish to make. It’s simple and easy to make too! Trying to impress someone? Well here you go! It’s perfect for a dinner at home date night, even if your partner doesn’t like spicy just add half the measurement of spices to the mix and you’re good to go.
On a side note I have recently stopped eating meat but I use this same recipe substituting the chicken with tofu. It tastes absolutely delicious!
Serving Size: 4-6 Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Total Time: 1 hour
1 lbs of chicken breast
1 8oz can of diced tomatoes
1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
1 white onion
2 cloves of garlic
2 cups of brown rice
2 cups of water or chicken broth
3 tbs of olive oil
For spiced mix:
1 tsp chili pepper
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp cajun
1/2 tsp creole
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp thyme
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a small pot add your water or chicken broth and rice and leave on low setting to cook while you complete the rest of your meal.
2. Dice your onion and garlic. Place 1 tbs of olive oil in a medium sized pan and add the onion and garlic, leave on medium/low heat and stir until the onions are translucent.
3. While the onion and garlic cook, in a small bowl mix together all the spices. Then dice your chicken and add into the bowl.
4. Once the onions and garlic are finished, remove them from the pan, add 1 tbs of olive oil and then the chicken. Be sure to continuously stir around and check the chicken so that it is cooked fully.
5. While the chicken cooks now you will chop up your bell peppers and jalapeños, don’t forget to check you chicken so it does not stick to the pan or overcook.
6. When the chicken is finished remove from the pan and add the final tbs of olive oil and the rest of your chopped vegetables. Stir them for a few minutes before adding in the already cooked onions and chicken. Let that sit for about 2 minutes and then add in the drained can of tomatoes.
7. Let this sit for about 5 minutes, meanwhile check the rice and remove from its pot. After that, your food should be ready to be removed and you are ready to eat!